Monday, July 16, 2012

Hundred Dollar Chocolate Cake

There are about 10 of my best girl friends from college that live in the same metro area as I do. Recently, one of them bought a house and decided to have a sleepover party to celebrate. To say I was looking forward to the party is an understatement. Some of my best memories are of staying in on Friday nights with these girls and prank calling people, or watching Mean Girls in the basement tube-room of our sorority.

Each friend volunteered to bring a snack of some sort to the party. I decided to bring two desserts that I had never made before that night: puppy chow and homemade chocolate cake. Surprisingly, the chocolate cake turned out better than the puppy chow.

The cake recipe is called Hundred Dollar Chocolate Cake and for good reason: the end product is divine. My mom sent me the recipe, but I also found it online here. I thought it was strange the recipe called for mayonnaise, but once I dug into the cake, I found out the dressing gives it unrivaled moisture and density. To top off the cake, I used whipped vanilla frosting – classic combo!

I love the color-contrast of the sugar/flour with the coca.

I use this Sunbeam electric mixer, which I love. 

I can't get enough Le Creuset kitchen utensils. I use my large spatula spoon daily.

Fresh out of the oven.

The end product!


2 comments:

  1. I love a good chocolate cake, but Puppy Chow is one of my most favorite things ever! I usually make it around Christmastime and call it Reindeer Food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cute idea! I'll have to keep that in mind this year.

      Delete